I know we said this was coming in video form but its been super busy with Caribana and new york right around the corner so we’ll keep you posted real quick like this.There are only 2 DAYS TILL CARIBANA and Caribana veterans like myself know that Caribana is an event you must prep for well in advance and if you don’t have a veteran to guide you on what to do and what NOT to do, your doomed. And that’s why we’re here! To give some last-minute pointers for all of our lovely out of towners and Caribana newbies who live around town, or wotless folk who need a reminder.
Things To Know:
Out Of Towners: fellas if you are foreign and from =south of the border in particular, women will either SWOON over you and your accent or think you’re a fraud. Hope you have proof handy!
Torontonians: Ladies, guys from different cities or neighbourhoods will try to use an “american accent” to swindle you, DONT FALL FOR IT. And if you do, don’t be surprised your chop has suddenly “moved” to Toronto after “bana.
Yonge Street:If flashy cars, standing around checking out the opposite sex and dropping 50 bucks to attend an overly crowded party on Richmond is your thing… then you should be there. otherwise, skip it; it’s overly crowded and consists of being “chopped” and watching others get hit on.
Photo via Visual Tirades
Caribana Weekend Parties:
OPTION 1: If you plan on going to a “jump and wave” wild ass soca party then DRESS COMFORTABLE! expect to scuff up your shoes, dirty up your clothes and sweat off your makeup from palancin’ all night. Heels and dress are NOT necessary for these types of parties.
OPTION 2: If that’s not your thing then you can go to a nice function where you can still get turnt up all while lookin right in your best gear with pictures galore, bottle service and celebrity hosts. DRESS TO IMPRESS people blow big bucks on caribana, you don’t wanna look “pop down” (sad) while everyone else looks nice. ARRIVE EARLY, celeb fanatics don’t play around and neither do club owners who want to pack their venue, they can and will make you stand outside for unreasonable hours or even deny entry regardless if you have a ticket or not.
via goodbye Melbourne, Hello New york
CARIBANA DON’TS :
1. DON’T wear heels, I can’t imagine how uncomfortable that is and if you’re a guy DONT wear your $200 brand new shoes unless you don’t care about them getting ruined. Open-toed shoes are also a major no-go if you are planning to get crazy and jump up along the truck.
2. DON’T bring expensive valuables. Yeah we know you wanna floss or you just cant live without your iPod but in all seriousness, when your busy having fun, that will fall off and get lost or stolen and you WON’T get it back
3. DON’T drive to the parade if you don’t need to, there is something called the TTC and besides the massive crowd it’s rather inexpensive compared to $20 parking at CNE grounds and then burn gas stuck in traffic go down there and to get back home.
4. DON’T bring a bad attitude. we all want to have fun and enjoy the parade, don’t go and ruin it for everyone with your sour self. *sidenote* its going to be crowded, people are going to bump into you, step on your toes, elbow you and it will be too crazy to apologize. get used to it and suck it up. 🙂
5. DON’T consider getting sleep until sunday, or even Monday if you want to get the full experience.there just isn’t time for sleep when ITS GOING TO BE PRETTY HYPE!
6. DON’T be shy! people aren’t there to watch and judge you and if they are then they need to find a hobby, honestly. Go out and dance like no one is watching and have an amazing time, it’s the LARGEST OUTDOOR PARTY IN CANADA!
1. DO pack light! fanny packs, the tiniest messenger bag/knapsack or if you have pockets, safe tuck items in the bottom of your pockets. you don’t need unnecessary things like your makeup,wallets,ID,iPod,3 different cameras,a notepad just in case and your lunch on you if you plan on being on the road all day. all you need is your phone,camera,money(around $20-$30), flag of choice and water if you don’t want to spend $4 on a 10 cent bottle of Nestle water.
2.DO wear comfy and casual clothing/shoes. cheap little shoes from the mall like Keds are great because they are comfy and you wont be devastated if the get trampled on. feel free to wear cute clothes but comfy enough to move around in.
3. DO wear a small amount of clothing. It’s going to be fiery HOT that day and the last thing you wanna be worrying about while jumpin’ up is how hot you feel in that thick t-shirt and black jeans.
4. DO bring a small digital or disposable camera. the costumes are beautiful and there will be too many wild moments on the road that you MUST capture. they say a picture says a thousand words..
5. DO be creative! People are always creating wild outfits to wear and heading to Bang On! to make custom shirts to grab attention at the parade. Caribana is like a free for all PR playground. everyone is promoting themselves and their companies. Try making Tee’s or even hand out stickers or flyers. a lot will end up on the ground but many will SEE them.
6. DO have a buddy system, if you’re with a group of friends, arrange for a meetup place at the end of the parade when lost because you WILL lose each other at least once during the parade. Everyone is on their phone in that area so making calls,BBM’s and Text Messages are near impossible and highly delayed so try your best to keep close to at least one friend out fo your group.
WHAT TO EXPECT THIS WEEKEND:
- FLASHY CARS (MOST ARE RENTALS)
- WEAVE( ALL COLOURS OF THE RAINBOW, SOME IN THEIR COUNTRY COLOURS)
- OUT OF TOWNERS(PLENTY! THEY LOVE CARIBANA, SHOW THEM THE TDOT HOSPITALITY)
- SKIN SKIN SKIN! (IT IS NO HOLDS BARRED WHERE SKIN IS THE OUTFIT OF CHOICE WITH CLOTHES AS AN OPTIONAL ACCESSORY)
- LOTS OF MUSIC! (SOCA,REGGAE,ZOUK. YOU NAME IT AND ITS BLASTING FROM A FLOAT OR A CAR AND ITS AMAZING)
- LACE FRONT WIGS ( THIS IS SEPERATE FROM WEAVE BECAUSE LACEFRONT ARE UN-BEWEAVEABLE! WATCH OUT FOR SUSPICIOUS HAIRLINES AND HAIR COLOURS)
- OVER PRICED EVERYTHING ( THIS IS PRIMETIME TO MAKE A PROFIT, WAT ER IS 4 BUCKS AND PARKING GETS AS BAD AS A WHOPPING $4O FOR A DAY)DON’T FALL VICTIM
- CELEBRITIES (TORONTO HAS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMEN IN THE WORLD AND DONT THOSE MALE CELEBS KNOW IT. WE ALSO HAVE THE SECOND MOST ANTICIPATED CARNIVAL AFTER TRINIDAD; CELEBS WILL BE IN FORCE SO KEEP YOUR EYES PEELED AND YOUR CAMERA READY
- WOTLESS BEHAVIOUR( WHINING ON THE GROUND, UPSIDE DOWN AND WHINING ON COPS ! THERE ARE NO RULES ON CARIBANA DAY (; )
- EXPENSIVE PARTIES (YOUR TYPICAL CLUB NIGHT WILL ROCKET UP TO $40-$50 FROM THE USUAL 10-15)
- AN AMAZING AND UNFORGETTABLE TIME! ( THE COSTUMES ARE BEAUTIFUL, THE FOOD IS DELICIOUS AND THE MUSIC WILL HAVE YOU DANCING, WHATS NOT TO LOVE?!)
Now as some of you may have heard, it is now $15 dollars to get access to a seated viewing area to watch the parade but don’t despair there is still an area to watch the parade and (hopefully) join in with the masqueraders alongside the trucks. 🙂
I’ll be on the road in my “Lullaby” costume with the Toronto Revellers & Machel Montano. Feel free to come and say hi and ill see you on the road, I C’YAN WAIT!